Monday, November 03, 2008

The Amazingness Keeps on Coming

If you know anything about the New York City Marathon, you should know that it is incredibly difficult to get in to if you are not a New York Resident. Registration is based on a lottery system. There are a few lucky people who get their names pulled out of the hat to run the legendary race (I don't know any). There are others of us who have luck (blessings) of a different sort. In my case, I have a friend who has a friend who has a connection with an "in" for the 2009 NY Marathon. So, as of January 1, 2009 I will be an entrant! The only requirement for me will be to do a run with the training group in NYC sometime in 2009 and show up on race weekend to pick up my bib and run my little booty off.

The very best part will be running with my friend Will. It will most likely be his first full marathon, and his preparation for the 2010 Boston Marathon - for which I will be trying to qualify in the next year.

I think it's safe to say I've caught the running bug.

Speaking of which, I begin training for the 12/7 LV Marathon this week. After two weeks of taking it easy, resting and recovering, I am ready to get back on a training schedule. My plan is to ramp up the mileage a little more this week - try to hit about 25 miles. Then next week take it up another notch and top out at 12-15 miles that weekend. After that, I'll taper it off again to try and get some good rest. Runners' World has a "Bounce Back" Plan, so I'm going to test that out. The real advantage of doing them so close together is not having to start at square one again. I'm looking forward to seeing how my body responds. Even if the race doesn't go well, I'm certainly going to have fun in Vegas!

No comments: