Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My New Favorite Running Tool

View Interactive Map on MapMyRun.com

I love www.mapmyrun.com

I run a route in the morning, trace it on the map on the website when I get to work, and it calculates the distance for me.

The link above shows the path of my typical weekday run.

The coolest part is that if I'm going to a new place I can map out a route before I get there and know exactly where I'm going and how far. For example, when I went to Las Vegas in September, I knew that I needed to run about 10 miles that Saturday. I also wanted to run part of the upcoming LV Marathon course. Using this tool I was able to lay out a route ahead of time, by referring to the Marathon course map, and eliminated the guess work. It made it that much easier to get up and go in the morning. I had a plan and I stuck to it.

If you're just getting in to running and need to plan out a few runs of various distances, this is a really easy way to develop a training plan using the streets and sidewalks by your house. Make a plan, map your route, step out your front door, and hit the road!

No comments: