Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Difference

I had a pair of conversations this week with people from the past. They both cast an interesting new light on my future, in very different ways.

The first conversation was in response to my previous blog post about my relationships with men. Though this person was not listed in my Male Revue, he was a significant friend at an important point in my life. Just as I remember, he offered kind, honest, intelligent advice to my recent commiserating over my seemingly failed love life. It was really encouraging. Every girl really needs at least one solid male friend (in addition to all the great girl friends) to remind her that she's valuable and worth pursuing. I'm thankful for mine.

The second conversation was liberating and encouraging in a very different way. It made me realize that someone who I thought was so very important, really doesn't have a hold on me anymore. What a sensation to finally stop wondering and hoping that they would once again become a major part of my life. I left the conversation thinking, "what was the big deal?" What a relief!

So this pair of conversations with someone who genuinely cares about me (even after all this time), and someone who genuinely cares about themself (even after all this time), helped reaffirm my own belief that I don't need to settle for second best. I may not be in a position to do everything I want to do right now, to the full extent, but I am committed to doing small things today to help me become the woman I want to be tomorrow. That's been my motto/mantra for the last few weeks. I really want to take active steps each day that will eventually put me where I want to be in the long run.

If 2007 was the Year of Disappointment, and 2008 has been the Year of Forward Progress, then 2009 will be the Year of Making Good Things Happen. I can't wait to start making my New Year's Resolutions!

No comments: