Monday, September 15, 2008

The Crazy-Girl-Freak-Out and Other Emotional Dance Moves

I've been learning lots of new moves this summer. For a while I was doing the Self-Pity Shuffle, then I tried the Boy-Crazy-Body-Roll, then it was the New-Guy Jitter, two days ago it was the Cloud-Nine Cha-Cha, now it's the Crazy-Girl Freak-Out. Welcome to my Type-A/Perfectionist Dance Party.

I met someone a couple weeks ago. I've been apprehensive about talking about it too much - I don't want to ruin it. He's a smart, polite, well-dressed, genuinely nice guy with a great job (can you believe it? I'm growing up just in time for my birthday next week). We've had a few good dates. The real beauty of the situation is that he's just so easy to be with. There's no hesitation, no guessing games, he calls when he says he will, shows up on time, and he's willing to play things by ear. It's all the benefits of "confident" without the "cocky." By now you may be familiar with my affinity for the Long-Distance Tango. This guy brings the best of both worlds - travels for work four days a week, but in town on the weekends. Seems perfect, right?

Then this morning I hear the tune that starts the dance. The words go something like this: "what if he doesn't call me next week?" "What if he's bored with me already?" "what if he thinks I'm too old for him?" and "Maybe I scared him off by revealing that I iron my pillow cases." By lunch time I've come up with at least two dozen scenarios and reasons why I should be worried. Of course it's just an indication that I might actually like this guy. Which begins the second verse: "don't get too excited too fast," "don't have too high of expectations," "don't plan any long weekend trips," "what if he thinks I'm pathetic because I have time to iron my pillow cases?" It's so ridiculous, but it's a catchy tune. All of this is amplified by the fact that I broke my own no-coffee rule and I have a horrible case of caffeine-induced anxiety.

I don't do the Pop and Drop, I don't think I can handle a Two-at-a-time Two-Step, nor am I really ready for a Relationship Waltz, so the Crazy-Girl Freak Out seems like a happy medium at the moment. My control-freak streak won't let me relax enough to do anything less - I'm not really one to be the wallflower either. It's my party and I'll dance how I want to.

No comments: