Friday, January 04, 2008

Turning Over A New Leaf

A new year always seems such an opportune time to start all over again. Sometimes I wish I could just "shut down" and "reboot." A new year is as close to this as we can get. It's a chance to purge myself of the things that tied me down and kept me from being the person I was created to be.

I was reading a nice little article in the Denver Post featuring several local people who are taking a new lease on life in 2008. They are making far greater commitments than short-lived weight-loss resolutions. One woman is using her new seminary degree to launch a career in counseling, another man is starting dialysis and looking for new kidneys, another has hopes of competing in the Olympic games.

That's the kind of change I want in my life this year. I want to start a new adventure, unpack all the baggage I've been lugging around, and stop waiting for things to happen to me.

While I have some run-of-the-mill resolutions (work out more consistently, eat healthier, be more intentional in maintaining important friendships, etc.), I want a more complete make-over in 2008.

1. I have to begin a career. I have a few things going, but I want to do something significant. My passion is for policy making. I want to work for someone involved in that process. I really think I need to move to DC to do that. So, by the end of 2008 I want to be in a position where I am working directly for someone involved in the political process.

2. I have to reevaluate my relationships. I've given too much power to some people in my life, and not spent enough time with other people. I have some friends with whom I have a mutually encouraging and loving relationship that I do not rely on enough, and there are other people in my life who are a serious emotional drain. I spend so much time wondering what they think of me, and whether I'm doing enough to make them happy and be a good friend, but I would be surprised if they so much as gave a second thought to my happiness. Not that I want to be more selfish in my friendships or completely sever ties with people, but I need to develop better emotional boundaries in my relationships.

3. Similarly, I need to build new relationships. I need to build a network, and not just for the purpose of career building, but in the pursuit of finding like-minded friends. I need to find more people who like politics and want to make a difference in this world. I think the first step in this is going back to church and being intentional about meeting people.

4. In the spirit of releasing myself from excess baggage and becoming more independent. I have decided to backpack part of the Appalachian Trail. It's something I've wanted to do for years and never taken the time to do it. Even if I just spend two weeks on the trail, I think it will be a tremendous experience. I'm planning on hiking this summer, in the Virginia or North Carolina sections.

5. I've also wanted to run a marathon since I was a junior in college. This is the year for that. I'm joining with Team in Training to prepare for a marathon in June. This training will be invaluable in my preparation for the AT.

6. In regards to my military career, the marathon training will also be important for my APFT and ultimately in getting my "O." Ever since I enlisted, I've been asked multiple times why I didn't get my commission. Really I wanted some experience on the enlisted side, but also, I didn't understand the system when I first signed on. So this year, I'm putting in my packet for a direct commission, as soon as I get my E5 promotion.

I hope that 2008 will be my year to take control of my life, surrender it back to God, and move forward into my destiny. I never want to waste my time and energy like I did in 2007. I spent so much time in tears and too little time doing the things I actually wanted to do. This year, I'm drying my eyes, leaving my pain in the past, and being the woman I am.

2 comments:

Que Lindo said...

Hope I make the cut in 2008.

Unknown said...

How could you not? I adore you, I think you're amazing. Regardless of what our relationship is or isn't, you are too important to let go.