Thursday, January 31, 2008

Milk and Traffic

Today I decided, after sitting in traffic for two and a half hours to travel a total of 18 miles, that I hate driving. I've known for a long time that once I get behind the wheel of a car, I transform into a different person. Everyone on the road suddenly becomes my enemy as we compete for space on the highway. I yell and curse, get angry about things that the object of my frustration is completely oblivious to. What really gets me is why other drivers can't feel my frustration and just all pull to either side of the road letting me drive right down the middle to my destination. Taking the bus everyday has allowed me not only to have a chance to interact with other people, it has given me the freedom to view them as friendly fellow humans going about their day, not selfish, stupid, road hogs.

The other thing I learned today is that milk is not my friend. I traded dairy for soy products as of January 1. I also quit drinking coffee (gasp!). But after my red-faced frustration on the road this morning, I decided I would treat myself with a tall, non-fat, one-pump cinnamon dolce latte, no whip. About two sips in, I felt the lactose taking its effect. Usually I am not sensitive to foods. I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and not feel any side effects other than satiety. But after nearly three weeks without dairy, I now understand a little better how my body works.

Add that to my list of resolutions: No more driving and no more milk. I (and everyone around me, on the road or not) will be much happier and healthier for it.

No comments: