Saturday, January 05, 2008

Leaf Blowing

It's only been a week, but I am faring quite well in my 2008 goals. So well that I need to add a few more things to the list.

7. I really want to start writing again. I've often thought that one of my life goals should be to write a book. Writing is a process I enjoy and I think I have good things to say. Also, I blew off poetry long ago for prose because it seemed so adolescent. I think I might try my hand at it again. My sister is a talented writer who really enjoys poetry, I might get her to lead me to some new material.

8. This is one of my more run-of-the-mill resolutions, and I've mentioned it before, I have to stop watching so much TV. It's my default activity. Anytime I'm bored or have spare time, I just flip on the tube and tune out. I have seriously thought about selling the TV in my room. This is the first year I've lived with a TV in my bedroom, and it is not healthy. I used to read before bed, now I watch endless hours of Friends. I'm convinced that all those comments about TV rotting your brain are true. My brother's girlfriend says "TV is for the weak-minded," I'm tending toward agreement.

9. One of the most important lessons I think I can take from 2007 is to be more persistent in pursuing what I want. I need to put that lesson into better practice in 2008. I need to clarify my goals, outline strategies for achieving them, then persistently go to work. I'm determined not to be in the same place this time next year. I really feel like 2007 was a waste in many ways, I spent so much time waiting and so little time living.

10. Finally (for now), I need to invest more time in re-building my relationship with God. After so much disappointment, it's hard for me to trust him anymore. But that's what faith is about, trusting and following God even when things are painful and unclear. I haven't been very faithful this year. While it might take a while and I know I'll waver on this point daily, I need to be more intentional about involving or acknowledging God in my life again.

Look out 2008, I'm doing more than turning over a new leaf, I'm blowing them all over the place.

No comments: