Thursday, January 24, 2008

Isolation and Interaction

Recently I've been using public transportation to get to and from work. Not only has it saved me from sky-high gas prices, but it has saved me hours upon hours of time that I would usually waste sitting in traffic, cursing other drivers. Rather, I have forty-five minutes to an hour to read, listen to music, relax, unwind. I can be completely oblivious to driving conditions, weather, time. At first I used to get frustrated when I didn't get to my destination quick enough or when the stops took too long. Now that I've acknowledged that all of that is beyond my control, and completely insignificant, I can completely relax and enjoy the ride.

One of the best benefits of riding the bus everyday is the human interaction. I've realized how easily we can become isolated from the rest of our species simply through our mode of transportation. Every day, twice a day, I look out the window to see thousands of people in their cars, alone, sitting in traffic. I can relate to that, after being a single driver for years. I would turn on my music and get lost in my own head. I still have that option on the bus, but I also have the opportunity to engage with other people.

Now I understand that by making eye-contact and smiling a complete strangers on board public transportation carries some risk. I might get involved in a conversation with someone who won't stop gabbing or who has bad breath or whatever. But there is a greater likelihood, I've found of having thoroughly pleasant conversations.

On Tuesday, for example, I met this smart, polite, interesting, funny (very nice looking) guy on my ride home. He's a political science student at CU Denver. We struck up a conversation and chatted the whole time. After a year of struggling to meet people, it was nice to know that it can be that easy.

Today, while I was waiting for my local transfer bus in Denver, I started talking with an older woman. She was sweet and talkative. She is in the process of changing careers so we shared stories about the trials and tribulations of job hunting.

For me public transportation has had a very humanizing effect. It's nice to be reminded that we're all just people orbiting this lonely planet, moving about our daily lives. When my life intersects with another it's an opportunity to exit the rat race for a minute and look outside myself. I welcome those chances as often as they may come.

No comments: