Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Skill Set

I am feeling particularly blessed this week at work. About a week ago I disseminated a memo to the uppity-ups requesting a raise. I recognize that this is not the economy in which it really makes sense to be making such a request, but I believe that in the past 11 months of full-time employment, I have proven myself a valuable employee. Not only that, but my responsibilities have changed and increased significantly since my hire. My superiors agreed with my argument and agreed to a 10% raise, effective yesterday, May 18. I breathed a huge sigh of relief after that meeting. My days of stretching every penny and stressing out about whether my rent check will clear the bank, or whether my debit card will be declined with every swipe, are over. Not that I will have a huge expendable income, but I will be able to manage things a little easier, and perhaps even put something aside in savings. I anticipate having to pay for a large, important event in the upcoming months, and the last thing I want to do is finance a dress.

Regardless of the extra money, it's just easier to come to work everyday, knowing that my work is valued and that my employer appreciates me. I can't lie though, I am really excited to get my first "big" paycheck.

No comments: