Monday, February 02, 2009

Ratiocination

I occasionally run across an article in the media that makes me realize how very differently I perceive the world than many people (http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12931660). The point here is not the subject matter or what they have to say about the 43rd President of the United States. Rather, one remark in particular has been festering in my brain for the last week: "Mr Bush is a convert to an evangelical Christianity that emphasises emotion—particularly the intensely emotional experience of being born again—over ratiocination."

Faith is, by nature, not always logical or reasonable. In fact, I believe that more often than not, faith is exactly the opposite. From what I know of God (through my own experience and others'), He rarely behaves in a manner that seems rational to us. We often forget, or perhaps never recognize, that God's perspective is very different from ours. We have a much smaller view of life, only comprehending the here and now, based on what we know from our limited past. There is much more at work than we can ever realize. In our small-minded nature we can hardly see past the end of our own nose.

I am a strong believer in the fact that God has a distinct purpose for my life that fits into a much greater plan. My life is not the end-all be all. While I sincerely believe that God has my best interest at heart, because he loves me, and cares for me personally and individually, I also know that his plans are far beyond me.

When it comes to reason, I can honestly say that I am really glad that many things in my life have not made "sense." I've prayed and begged for God to do something specific, and when the answer was a resolute "no," I have been hurt, confused, angry, and I felt betrayed. As I continue to grow up and experience blessings, I become thoroughly grateful that my life has NOT gone my way. While I may believe that what I'm doing fits into God's plan, my perception is so inadequate that I can't see how anything else would be good. Then, something happens, a light comes on, the situation changes, and suddenly I can see how little I really know. That's what faith is all about though - taking the first step when you can't see the stairwell. It's not about cold, hard logic, or even reason. It's about trusting that God is sovereign in all things.

No comments: