Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Glimmer

I tend to get very excited about potential opportunities. Even things that may not be very realistic or may be very realistic but so far off in the distance that I should probably just file it away for future daydreaming. Last night one of these little potential opportunities presented itself. Today, I'm having a hard time focusing on work while I let my mind wander and explore this new path. The more I research and mull it over though, the more it becomes feasible and desirable.

As you may know, I've been wanting to go back to graduate school for almost a year now. Teaching at Rivendell last Spring rekindled my interest in academia. I had a couple top choices, and was pretty set on attending either one. A new contender presented itself - out of convenience with this new possibility - and it looks promising. In fact it looks like a better choice in regards to specialization of study, and I'm probably more likely to get a teaching assistanship that will pay for the degree. As with everything else, I'm trying not to get ahead of myself on this. It's just exciting to think about making a change, venturing out, doing something new.

Of course change requires some sacrifice - but as a friend reminded me this morning, some sacrifices are worth making if they help you accomplish a dozen other goals.

No comments: