Monday, February 16, 2009

Time to Move On?

I've been working at Dill & Dill for little over seven months now. It's been a decent place to work. Plenty of inter-office backstabbing, gossip, and general bullshit to go around. However, I have learned some interesting things and I genuinely enjoy working for my boss - he really appreciates the work I do for him. I knew when I took the job, that I would not stay for long though. It's always been just a job, not a career. I've also known that when it's time to go, I'll know. Up until now, I haven't felt to freedom to move on. I've felt obligated to stay, as though there's more for me to learn or something more to gain from this position.

In the last three weeks, I've been presented with several new opportunities, and had several conversations with trustworthy people indicating that I should be pursuing my career goals more ambitiously. At the same time though, I've also been given a great opportunity here to do something new, interesting, and very different from any other paralegal work I've done. Right now it's hard for me to determine my next step, and how quickly I need to make my move.

Since working at Rivendell College last Spring, I've felt more inclined to go back to school for my Ph.D., and try to get into teaching. I miss being in a academic environment, and I'm really good at teaching. The more I talk to Jim and hear about his job teaching English at a local language institute, the more envious I get. Plus, I really hate days when I have to work and he doesn't: either because he's between terms, or it's a national holiday (like today). When I count my dwindling vacation days, I long for summer vacations, winter break, spring break, and national holidays (can you tell I'm bitter about having to work today?).

I don't need to make an immediate move. I do need to start gathering application materials for graduate programs that suit my interests, however. I should probably take the GRE again too. I have a pretty solid resume, but scholarships to cover full tuition and paid teaching assistant positions don't come that easy. I can't start a graduate program until Fall 2010, but I will need to begin applying this year. Perhaps I can take a few classes as a non-degree seeking student this summer or fall to earn a few application bonus points and scratch my nerd itch.

I've never been that thrilled with my job, but it felt like the right place to be. There have certainly been some good lessons learned, valuable professional networking, and good relationships gained by working at Dill & Dill. I can see the benefit of it. But it's time to start making my way toward the door, one step at a time.

No comments: