Friday, October 17, 2008

Denver Marathon - Just One More Day

The pre-race nerves have set in full force. We had our last group training run last night, and we were all ready and rearing to go. This taper week has been killer. I can't sit still at work, I can hardly sleep because I have so much energy, the scheduled runs have felt way too short and the rest days way too long. It's like being overly caffeinated 24/7. Really, I think it's a good sign though. If I had overtrained, I would be tired, sluggish, sore, and dreading any sort of run. Before San Diego I wasn't as amped up and ready to go, and I had a fair share of nerves for reasons other than the race itself - being in a new place, transportation, hotel, food, new people, etc. Being home and in a position to keep my routine and my eating habits will give me a real advantage. Not to mention the fact that I've run most of the race course multiple times. Miles 18-22, typically the hardest of a marathon, I'm anticipating to feel really good. Those miles are around Washington Park where I've run twice a week for the last 18 weeks - it's like comfort food: familiar, easy, friendly. In fact the only part of the course with which I'm less familiar is the first 10K. That will be the easiest part in terms of energy level.

My goal for the race was to finish in 4 hours. After talking with my friend Will last night, I think I really need to go for it, puch myself, and try to qualify for Boston with a 3:40 finish. I've trained well, I'm prepared, and a 4 hour finish was reasonable, if not conservative. A 3:40 finish is rather ambitious, but I need to give it a shot. If I don't make it this time, Las Vegas is only 6 weeks away. If I don't make it there, I'll be signing up for another race in February. I am determined to qualify this season. I think I can actually do it. Wish me luck! Post-race report will follow next week.

No comments: