Friday, August 29, 2008

Random Musings on a Friday

I realized that I've consistently posted new blogs on Fridays for the last several weeks. If that isn't an argument for a four-day work week, I don't know what is!

Honestly, this whole week has been a wash. I've never been so unproductive - and NOT cared that I've been so unproductive. I'm hitting the three-month mark as a full-time employee at Dill and Dill. I had this sense of dread on Wednesday evening (after spending at least 6 hours online planning four different vacation options for the long weekend) that this is my life. I've entered the phase in my life where I get up, go to work, drink my cup of tea, bullshit with my co-workers for about 30 minutes, avoid petty office politics, check my e-mail, respond to all the minor catastrophes that sprung up overnight (as with most things, small problems are blown way out of proportion - I think it's a human way of dealing with boredom - a way to inject some excitement into the work place), then type away on some obscenely irrelevant document and send it off in some obscenely egologically destructive method (Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL, etc.) so that Mr. So-and-So-Money-Bags can read it, sign it, and send it right back on the next jet plane. I'm not bitter; the novelty of my New Job is just wearing off, and the reality of it is sinking in. I can't express enough how thankful I am to have this job. I work with great people, in a very affirming environment, I learn something new everyday, I'm setting myself up very well for a debt-free future, I'm bulking up my resume, etc., etc. I am very, very blessed to be where I am.

In fact, this morning, I woke up smiling. Very consciously smiling. I felt utterly content. I've been struggling lately with feeling sorry for myself, wanting something I can't have, feeling a little lonesome in my one-bedroom apartment, but today was a different day all together. Perhaps I'm excited about the three-day weekend and the plans I have that are actually going to work out (look for some amazing photos on Tuesday), or maybe I really have reached a growing point where I've given up some unhealthy mental habits, and made a transition. Either way, it feels fantastic.

I think one of the things that spurred on all this positive energy is I read some posts and personal journal entries I wrote this time last year, and I was really encouraged to see how far I've come in these short twelve months. I made some significant changes, all for the better.

Something about the onset of Fall makes me nostalgic. Students are starting the new school year (I'm envious of all of them), football season is underway, my birthday is in less than a month, leaves change colors, it all just represents the start of something new. So it's no wonder I feel restless. I'm ready for new adventures, new interactions, new scenery. While three days away from civilization may not be the cure, I hope I can come back to the monotony and daily obligations of adult-life (where I don't really think I belong yet) with a renewed sense of purpose, or at least be too exhausted to do anything other than peck away at my keyboard.

No comments: