Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Oh My Omaha" Update

Since I made such a big deal out of my trip with the Boyfriend's family this past weekend, I feel obligated to provide an account of the venture.

First of all, I am really glad I went, actually. That doesn't mean I would do it all over again, but I know now how important it was that I was there. Meeting his grandmother, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. was a really good experience. In such tight-knit families everyone feels safe and appreciated, even guests are instantly comfortable. And there was not a single question as to whether we've "set a date," begun reproducing, or any other such prying nonsense. Fortunately for me these were all directed toward the newly-wed couple.

The part I would not do-over is the 8.5 hour car ride book-ending the weekend. First there was the reading aloud from Readers' Digest. Then there was the insistence that I "put on a coat" (while riding in the car b/c the AC was too cold). Then there was the questioning at every stop as to whether I was hungry and instruction to "eat a donut" even after I replied "no thank you," "no, I'm not hungry," "no, I don't want a donut." The one bit of unexpected peace was the separate hotel rooms.

I think it was a learning experience for all of us. Boyfriend learned that not telling me anything about the event ahead of time means that he gets to carry TWO large suitcases in addition to his own. His mom learned that I don't deal well with people before breakfast. His dad learned that I HATE being rushed. I learned to ask more questions before I agree to a family trip. Questions like: "where will I be sleeping?" "with whom will I be sharing a bed?" "What time does the event start and when exactly do we need to leave?" "Is dinner going to be a backyard BBQ or a catered country club meal?" Oh, and questions like, "honey, why in god's name do you think I want to take a road trip with your parents?"

No comments: