Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Oh My Omaha

There's another family-fun weekend planned: the Boyfriend's Grandma's 90th Birthday Party, in Omaha, Nebraska.

After my last "Meet the Family" experience, I am better prepared to field the abundance of inappropriate and uncomfortable questions that are inevitably launched on potential new in-laws. And I think I can more adequately brace myself for the long stories about people I don't know and small talk with people who believe that vegetarianism is a form of Communism. In addition to the eight hour, one-way car ride with his parents to look forward to, there will be more, new extended family members to inquire and speculate on the quality of my uterus, and quiz and observe my domestic abilities.

I know it's all with good intent. They want to make sure their son/grandson/nephew/cousin/brother/step-brother/uncle is happy and has found someone acceptable. What baffles me is that they seem to forget that I too am someone's relative, and a person, no-less, with some plans of my own.

In these moments I come up with many reasons not to go on this adventure: I have to pack and move my apartment; I have a big fundraiser that weekend for AIR; I have to train with my team for one of the many races I have just around the corner; or I just don't want to go. I also know that if his extended family becomes my extended family, my absence will not be easily forgiven, or forgotten. And I know that if he goes without me, there will be an endless barrage of uncomfortable questions he will have to face regarding my absence. If it's going to be uncomfortable for one of us, it might as well be for both of us. That's what it means to be in a relationship, having someone to endure family events with.

2 comments:

Que Lindo said...

He needs to deliver a similarly eloquent speech to his soldiers on this subject.

Unknown said...

After all my stressing out over this trip, it's a REALLY good thing I went. His grandmother liked me enough to give him something sparkle-y for me. :) I don't get to wear it yet though . . . the waiting is killing me!