Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mysterious Ways

After working at P.F. Chang's for over a year, I finally decided to find a new job. I will continue serving tables there one night a week, Sundays, at least through the holidays. It's the busiest time of year, and it would be stupid for me not to use that opportunity to make a little extra cash. And it gives me the option to pick up an extra shift when I need to.

I've accumulated a few regulars over the year, which is nice. I enjoy seeing them, I know what they like to order, and I know how to serve them best. I know a little about them, they know a little about me, it's a reminder that the people I serve are real people who have lives outside of eating at P.F. Chang's. Funny how spending so much time at one place, interacting with people on one level for so long has made me so myopic about society. I digress.

When I first started at Chang's I joked that the only way the job would help me launch my career would be if Gov. Bill Ritter sat at one of my tables and was impressed enough to offer me a job. Needless to say, that never happened. A few months ago though this man named Mark began frequenting P.F. Chang's, usually late on Thursdays, and just happened to sit in my section. He dined alone, ordered in waves and drank the same wine every time. He was friendly and actually seemed interested in getting to know me. He's in his mid-fifties with a wife and young son. They had moved from Breckenridge with the intent of expanding his company and being more accesible to his clients. They also began attending my parents' church. I told Mark about my hopes with the State Department, he explained his business to me. I saw him almost twice a week, usually alone, but sometimes with his son.

I was able to pick up a shift on Thursday night, just last minute, one last one before I begin my Sunday-only schedule. I was wrapping things up and getting ready to go home when Mark walked in. It had been months since he had been in, and I was just thinking earlier that day that I hadn't seen him in a while. He ordered his usual and we began chatting. I told him about my new job - I had previously discussed my brief exploration into marketing jobs at the end of the summer.

"I believe that sometimes God uses daily circumstances to reveal his will," Mark stated. "I would really like to see you succeed. Now, I'm sitting here thinking 'here's this bright young woman in front of me, who I see as very capable, her parents go to my church, and I think that there has to be some reason for this. I would like to help you however I can. I'm going to send you some information about my organization, you take a look at it and we'll talk about some options for you."

Wow.

Now I know that this isn't a concrete job offer. I know that nothing may ever come of this conversation. But I know an opportunity when I see one, and in this year of disappointment, I know a blessing when I experience one. Perhaps all this IS part of God's plan after all. For the first time in a while, I'm hopeful about my future. Sometimes a little encouragement is all that's needed to put things in motion.

No comments: