Thursday, February 23, 2006

Never Let Me Go

Since I started on Kazuo Ishiguro's newest novel, Never Let Me Go, I haven't been able to stop listening or get it out of my head. I bought the Audio CD, read beautifully by Rosalyn Landon. I've had to limit myself to either listening only in the car or only as I get ready for bed at night. I was almost late to class three times last week because I was so caught up in the story as I was getting up and getting ready for the day. I've enjoyed it so much that I'll put it on when I get in the car, drive to wherever I need to be then sit in the car and listen until I'm verging on lateness. Even then, once I get to the meeting, class, grocery store, whatever, I have a hard time thinking about anything else.

I don't want to reveal too much about the story. Even though I probably wouldn't have bought the book if I hadn't known what it was really about, I would have enjoyed it even more if I had been able to allow the story to unfold. Each chapter is a wonderful new layer. As each one is peeled back to disclose something new about the characters and their place in society, the pieces start to fall into place.

It's a wonderfully written, provocative, and thoroughly engaging story. I still have the last disc to finish, and I can't wait to get in my car and listen.

No comments: