Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Precipice

"There are dreamers and there are achievers, the difference between the two is action."

I'm struggling lately to remember that I can't control other people's behavior. I have to take action on things I can control myself and not grow frustrated when other people's irresponsibility affects my life. I want to achieve things with my life, not just dream about them. It's tough being at the bottom of the totem pole and those in a higher position aren't taking the necessary action to make progress - then I get stuck.

In pretty much everything I'm doing right now, someone else is making choices that are poor, childish, egotistical and counter-productive, but I can't stop them, and I can't make them act any differently. Even if I thought my opinion mattered, how do I even approach this type of conversation with them? Is it more prudent just to keep my head down, stay out of the way, and hope the demolition ends before everything is in trash heaps? Is it wise for me to stay quiet when I know someone is doing irreparable damage by continuing to conduct business according to their status quo? What's my level of responsibility?

At the beginning of the year, I was so hopeful that 2010 would bring dramatic changes for me. I've been working to that end, but keep hitting road blocks created by other people who claim to be working toward the same end.  I keep trying to remind myself that regardless of in inability to act, God is still sovereign. I may not have control over certain things, but I have to trust that he does, and he is working all things out for his glory and my better good. I never quite see the big picture, but this time I'm trying to step away from the edge, and just keep doing what I can to make progress in the direction I think I'm supposed to go.

No comments: