Friday, July 17, 2009

Wild Mountain Nation

Over the last few months I've had the pleasure of attending a variety of live music shows here in Denver. Many of them have left me simply content with having experienced some young, unknown musicians testing their talents before an enthusiastic but sophisticated audience. Last night I had the opportunity to hear Blitzen Trapper (http://www.blitzentrapper.net/), the hard-rock turned Indie-folk-pop band from Portland, Oregon - Wow: these guys are for real.

Typically I lose interest in a show after about 45 minutes if I'm not familiar with a band or if they don't play a cool cover to draw me in. After every single tune last night, I thought, "wow, that was really good." My ears kept wanting more.

The style is so simple and hearkens back to the folk music of Appalachia with gospel-ready lyrics, three-part harmonies, and some traditional instrumentation like a acoustic guitar and harmonica. But the sound is complex and exciting. Incorporating the electric sound of a rock band adds depth and energy to their oft-mellow tunes.

I'm currently enjoying my third listen through their newest album, Furr. Join the Wild Mountain Nation of Blitzen Trapper - you're in good company.

No comments: