Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lucky Girl

I was looking back over some old posts today and I was really enjoying how journals (online or hand written) track personal growth in a way that is greater than just chronicling activities. I can read over an entry I wrote over a year ago and remember exactly how I was feeling, what I was experiencing, the people in my life, etc. As I was reading I was also reminded of how perfect timing can sometimes be. I can look back at specific dates, read about how I was frustrated, confused, doubtful, or exhausted and realized that on that same day, or within a couple days something beautiful happened to improve or completely change my circumstances. Those events often go unstated. I've found it easier, or more significant, perhaps, to write about the frustrating circumstances and hardly think twice about all the great things that happen. I felt compelled to write today because I so often let the good periods of my life go unnoticed.

For example, I haven't written anything about how lovely life is right now. Aside from the fact that I find myself loathing my job on a daily basis, everything on either end of 9-5 is fantastic. Really, the job isn't so bad - it's improving in many ways. I have more interesting projects on my desk, better rapport with the head honchos, and I'm recognized as a valuable employee. And even though I feel very scattered in my personal life these days, that only creates minor frustration. I guess what I'm trying to say in a round-a-bout way, is that I'm happy. Life is full of promise and potential right now. Life has also become more serious for me though as I face choices that will impact the rest of my life. They're exciting choices, but I cannot make them as lightly as I have made similar decisions in the past. Suddenly it's a two-man team rather than a solo flight. So while I may have been able to pick up and leave at the drop of a hat a few months ago, that's no longer an option - nor do I want it to be. Now, there are two suitcases to pack, two tickets to purchase, and greater adventures to be had. It's good, but, like anything else, it's an adjustment. For the short amount of time I've had to come to terms with all this, I think I've adapted well, and the only thing I believe I have neglected in this process is the insistent pile of dishes in my sink.

No comments: