Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spring Fever or Boy Crazy?

I had a date today. A real date with a man. We had a great time, or at least I had a great time. I think it was the first date I've been on in . . . it's embarassing, so I'll just say, "a while."


We took a rock climbing clinic at my gym, my idea. I thought it was a really good first date idea; not a lot of time for awkward silence, and he's the athletic adventurous type so an activity that gives him an opportunity to show off and enjoy himself. Then we had an early dinner; very casual and great conversation.


So now, I'm anxious. As often as I go on a date, I go on second dates about half as often. I really hope he calls me. I guess since he's the one who suggested dinner it's my turn to come up with something else. He did ask me to go to lunch sometime, but that was last week. I just really hope I didn't unknowingly do/say something idiotic to scare him off.


There's this line between indicating interest and coming on too strong. For me, I have never been able to walk this line effectively. As a freshman in high school I was attracted to a guy, and I just told him, right to his face. I was so brave. His reaction? Nothing. He simply avoided me for the next four years. When I was nine I had a crush on a boy, and he threw sand in my face on the playground. When I was seven, the boy I liked threw spitwads at me in Sunday school. Now I know that this is how boys express interest. But it left a mark. Now, twenty years later and pretty much the same level of success, my romantic compass is a bit off.

No comments: