Wednesday, March 15, 2006

On the Hunt. . .

The hunt for a job, that is. One of the tips I learned at the Women's Campaign workshop a couple weeks ago was that a candidate should spend four hours a day fundraising. While looking for a job, I really think a serious job seeker probably spends four hours a day searching for openings, contacting people, editing her resume, writing cover letters, and following up on submitted applications. In other words, I've had time for little else.

The problem is that my MA thesis is due in less than two weeks, and I can't stop job hunting long enough to get a decent chapter written. Perhaps this is my newest procrastination technique. Really though, I have a hard time focusing on my thesis because I know I have an interview coming up or an application deadline. At the same time, I have a hard time engaging in my job search because I know I need to be writing that paper.

I think the best way for me to handle this is to just put aside the job stuff until after I submit my thesis. Easier said than done. I much too future-oriented to concentrate only on the immediate needs. I have a real gift for getting things done at the last minute, and doing them well. Perhaps it's more of a curse than a gift, but it works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right? Or is it more important to develop consistency than to just get stuff done?

Of course there are other things that could benefit from a more incremental approach. Like training for a marathon. That is absolutely something I cannot do a week before the race. I have to build a foundation, develop strength and stamina, train my body to operate efficiently over that entire distance. Running a marathon is something I've wanted to do for a while, but I can never stick to a training program long enough to get to race day. This fall I ran a half-marathon, and seriously, I hadn't run more than 5 miles to prepare. And the two weeks prior, I had only run 2 miles 3-4 times. I finished the race in 2:10, not bad for a lazy sop who refuses to train. But, at the end of the 13 miles, I could not imagine running another 13 to complete a marathon.

In regards to job hunting, I just have to trust the Lord and stop worrying that I'll miss an opportunity while I'm finishing school. He has a job prepared for me already. I just have to keep on the lookout for it, AFTER I write my thesis. He understands what I'm doing. He put me here in grad school for a reason. I just need to focus in on this, deal with the task at hand, and believe that God will lead me into the destiny he has planned.

No comments: