Friday, January 27, 2006

Rattle & Hum

If you don't love U2 as much as I do (and I LOVE U2), watch Rattle & Hum. It follows them through the U.S. on their Joshua Tree Tour in 1988. Though the long hair, stirrup pants (with suspenders), Debbie Gibson hats, and patterned vests with fringe might make you doubt their greatness for just a second, you'll be gripped by the power and soul of their music. My favorite part is when they visit a church in Harlem. There was a gospel church that had covered their song, "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and the band decided to record with the choir. When the choir joins in on the first chorus, I got chills all over. It was the most beautiful music I have ever heard (forgive me Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, and Chopin!). I think that's what Heaven will sound like. I'm convinced that when I see Jesus for the first time, and I run into His arms, Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry will be playing "Where the Streets Have No Name."

What I really love about U2 is their earnest effort to confront important issues of our time. They have been talking about some of these issues longer than most of our major American political leaders. In 1988, Bono was discussing the problem of terrorism . Their song, "Mothers of the Disappeared," brought the struggle of Argentine mothers against their repressive government to the international public eye. Now, their social activism continues. Bono has become somewhat of a disciple of Jeffery Sachs in the last five years and wrote the forward to arguably the most important book written in this century thus far, The End of Poverty. In Rattle and Hum, Adam makes the comment, "some people don't think you should mix politics and music, or religion and music, but I think that's bull shit." Ever since the first note was sung at the earth's creation, music has been purposed to relate a message. While the message of most music made today is "make money," "buy more stuff," "have sex," "look at me," etc., U2 stands out as a band that really has something important and meaningful to say. I don't believe even for a second that it's all about creating an image of a humanitarian to sell more CDs either. Just watch the DVD and you'll see what I mean.

I think the real problem with the Church today, and even with Christians in general is their lack of concern for or motivation to confront the real problems people face on a daily basis. Jesus commanded us to care for the oppressed, the poor, the widows and the orphans. I know of only a few groups that are really doing that. I've posted links to the websites of those organizations that I think are making a concerted effort to obey that command. I hope you'll check them out. Of course, the One Campaign link is also included.

www.one.org - Some people may criticize this plan for being unrealistic or simply throwing American tax money at the problems, but understanding the structural conditions of global poverty and realizing that we live in a globalized world helps put this initiative in context.
www.sojo.net - publishers of Sojourner's magazine, a publication that discusses "politics, religion, and culture."
www.ijm.org - one of the most important legal organizations in the world, in my opinion. They use the legal systems in countries around the world to free people from forced prostitution, slavery, and police corruption.
www.compassion.com - I get tired of seeing commercials that guilt you into sponsoring a child in poverty, but this non-profit is the real deal.
www.bread.org - Bread for the World "seeking justice. ending hunger."

If you know of other Christian organizations that are pursuing solutions to these problems, I'd love to hear about them.

No comments: