Monday, November 30, 2009

Packing Day

I'm anxiously preparing for a two-week excursion into the wilderness of the North West United States. During these two weeks, I'll be participating in a three-day camping trip as well as taking classes in orienteering, outdoor survival, physical fitness techniques and training, and leadership skills. All of my travel, food, lodging and equipment is provided. I leave Thursday and return just one week before Christmas.

It's not nearly as exciting as it sounds; I'm going with my Uncle Sam. He's notorious for taking everything too seriously, making everyone get up really early, stay up really late, go for days without showers, shouting loudly over seemingly mundane details, and shamelessly belittling everyone in his sights. Not exactly a vacation. I'm determined to come out on top; sharper, smarter, and ready to face whatever the new year may present.

On the eve of the President announcing his plan for military operations in Afghanistan, and particularly whether there will be a surge of an additional 30,000 - 40,000 troops deployed, I have to believe that I need to absorb as much as I can from this trip. I've been fortunate enough over the last 4 years (5 years in February!), to not spend any time in the Sandbox. I've also been blessed enough to know dozens of people who have done their duty two and three times over.

I trust that God is in control of this situation, and I sincerely believe that He is putting me (or keeping me) exactly where I need to be to fulfill his purpose in my life. I'm not worried. If I go, I go, and God will be sovereign even there. If I stay, I stay, and God has plans for me here.

No comments: