Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fingers Crossed

I was casually perusing the USA jobs website last week when I was surprised to find a position that seemed to be a perfect fit for me. It's a research and analysis job for the DOD, based on Colorado Springs, focusing on Latin America. The application deadline was yesterday.

I spent all day working on this application. It required 1-3 page responses to five different questions. The intent is for candidates to demonstrate in writing that they have the requisite experience to fill the position.

I want this job so much that I can hardly talk about it. I guess I believe that the more I talk about it, the more I'll want it, and the more I'll be disappointed when I don't get it. That's a sad way to pursue a career though, expecting to be let down and rejected.

I'm trying to adjust my attitude to reflect a greater belief in myself and my future, rather than my fears. I've dealt with disappointments before in my career and moved on. I may not be where I want to be, but that doesn't mean I stop trying to change my circumstances. I have to take chances; you can't win the lottery without buying a ticket, and you can't get the dream job without applying for it.

No comments: