Monday, June 15, 2009

Westword Music Showcase 2009

The Westword Music Showcase is an annual platform for local Denver bands. I have to say that I was blown away by the talent and level of musicality taking root here. Over 90 bands performed, one every hour from noon until 6pm, at 6 or 7 different venues within the same 3 block radius. Then Meese and Built to Spill capped off the evening at the main outdoor stage.

Of all the fantastic music I heard on Saturday, I was most impressed with the single song I heard from Hello Kavita - a cover of Paul Simon's "You Can Call me Al." I scurried into Curious Theatre at the very end of their show to catch an earful. First of all, I love Paul Simon. I think there are few better song writers. "You Can Call me Al," is one of my favorite songs. Hello Kavita's rendition was brilliant. It was absolutely what a cover should be - their own. I get so tired of hearing "cover" songs performed in their original arrangement; it might as well be karaoke. When I hear a new version of an old favorite and it's fresh and interesting, I get really excited. I wish I could find a recording of the performance to post here. If you know of one, please let me know - I would love a copy. Be on the look out for Hello Kavita to take flight in the near future. These guys have got "it."

Other favorites of the day: The Swayback (who just signed with Capital Records); Bella Karoli; Everything Absent or Distorted; and Meese (who sound an awful lot like The Fray, but BETTER and more edgy). Built to Spill's performance was, of course, fantastic.

Music lovers keep an eye on Denver. There's some great talent on the ups.

No comments: