Monday, May 07, 2007

Medical Clearance

I finally, finally, finally, got my medical clearance for the US State Department! After a year of doctors, tests, needles, ridiculous diagnoses, and utter frustration, I have an unlimited medical clearance.

Pretty funny how the background check/security clearance took no more than 6 weeks after all my traveling and moving but the medical clearance took nearly a year when I've never been sick. The whole process really tested my limits, not to mention my faith. Now that I'm an eligible candidate and moving forward to start my dream job it's easy to believe that God had some purpose in making me wait. Looking back over the last few months I have totally given up in so many ways. I doubted God's sovereignty and love. I let the disappointment and frustration get the best of me.

At the same time though I had just reached a point where I was okay with doing something else. I signed a lease, took a teaching job for the 2007/2008 academic year and decided to get out of the holding pattern. I determined to take advantage of my current circumstances and enjoy the time and relationships I have now rather than focusing only on the next step. I've always been so goal oriented and visionary that I have often neglected the present. I wait for the next big event to occur before I can really start living. I focus on how much better my life will be once I have ____. For the last two years all I have been able to think about is how fabulous my life will be once I am in the Foreign Service, living overseas, doing a job I love, serving my country, making a good salary, traveling, etc. So for me to take a step to make the most of "now" is significant. Now everything is up in the air again. I could get an assignment anytime in the next 18 months. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally excited. It's just funny how things work.

No comments: